"Let's put it into practice: Fun uses of the verb 'poner'" / 5 minutes of Spanish (English version) + Piodcast

Poner la mesa / to set the table

Podcast 208

Hello, how are you?

Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, depending on where you are and what time you are listening to us. In these 5 minutes of Spanish in the middle of the week, we are going to talk about some uses of the verb “poner”.

 Spanish version

The verb “poner” is very versatile in Spanish and is used in various contexts. Today we will see how to use “poner” to.

 

1 - To prepare something for a purpose

Poner la mesa                      to set the table

Poner la lavadora                 to set the laundry

Something we do every day, well, at least we women do it every day.

 

2 - To place or put something in a place


Siempre poníamos las luces en el jardín.            We always put the lights in the garden.

 

3 - To express something in writing 

No entiendo que puso aquí, no veo necesito los lentes.           I don´t understand what he wrote here, I can’t see, I need my glasses 

 

4 - To wear a garment Here it is to put on + noun

Cuando éramos jóvenes, siempre nos poníamos disfraces locos.  When we were young, we always wore crazy costumes.

Me pondré un vestido elegante para la fiesta.    I will wear an elegant dress for the party.

 

5 - - Postura corporal - Body posture

Me pongo derecho para la foto.     I sit up straight for the photo.

Ayer me puse de pie cuando llegó mi amigo.     Yesterday I stood up when my friend arrived.

 

6 - Temporary mood change

Me pongo feliz cuando veo a mis amigos.           I get happy when I see my friends.

Ponerse nerviosa, eso nunca me pasa…            Sí, nada te pone nerviosa…

 

No te lo pongas
"Don't put it on" 

Let's imagine a situation: an ordinary couple, let's say, Malena and Eduardo are getting ready to go out to dinner with friends.

Did you put gas in the car?

 

Yes, of course. I always put gas in it... What are you doing?

 

I'm putting the washing machine on and I want to put things in order.

 

Me estoy poniendo nervioso, ya no tenemos mucho tiempo.      I’m getting nervous, we don’t have much time.


Fíjate en el WhatsApp: ¿a qué hora pusieron que nos encontramos?   

        Check WhatsApp: what time did they say that we were meeting?


¿Te vas a poner esa camisa?   

  Are you going to wear that shirt?

Yes, it's comfortable and...

 

No, wear the black linen one.

 

Yes, dear...

 

I don't know what I'm going to wear...

 

Oh my God, I'm going to walk...while I'm waiting.

 

I'm going to bring this 5-minute Spanish podcast to play on the trip.

 

Good choice

 

Did you see that Pedro started a new business?

 

No, I didn't know Did he tell you?

 

He didn't put it on Facebook and he put an ad on You Tube, didn't you see it?

 

Ah, I didn't pay attention.

 

Don't start talking about politics, you know Maria and Jose think differently and they start arguing with Pedro and we all get nervous.

 

Here we are! I'm so hungry, I'm so happy!

 

What about you? Don't be sad, but we are leaving.

 

Thanks for listening. Share and like us on Facebook and YouTube. Visit us on Spanishup2U and see you next week.

 

See you soon

 

Bye-bye.




Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

5 cuentos cortos para leer en vacaciones (y practicar español) Nivel B1

Crucigrama de animales en español / Study Spanish

Sillón de botellas plásticas