Slip into Spanish: learn at all times / 5 minutes of Spanish + Podcast / English version

How are you? Good morning, good afternoon or good evening depending on where you are or when you are listening to us.

Welcome to this Spanish podcast, number 212. What's the topic for today?


We hear the word "landslide" a lot these days. Do you know what it means?



Yes, there were some small landslides here in Los Cabos from last week's tropical storm. It's a word you need to know when it rains around these parts.


Although it sounds like a type of water dance, "landslide" has nothing to do with the sea. It comes from the Latin delābi, which means "to slide." And believe me, you wouldn't want to be around when one happens.


To slide? Interesting! Is it like when I slip on a banana? (Laughs)


(Laughs too) Almost! But in this case, it's not a banana, but earth, rocks, and sometimes even trees sliding down a mountain. It's like the mountain is slipping after getting too wet.


Oops! So what causes a landslide?


Good question. Landslides usually happen because of erosion (on a mountain or slope) caused by water. The water causes the earth to separate from the rocky soil and… boom! Gravity does the rest.


That sounds dangerous! Is it like an avalanche, but of earth?


xactly. They look a lot like avalanches, but instead of snow, they are rocks, earth, and sometimes even buildings that slide down the mountain. We also call them landslides or collapses.

And are they always huge? Or sometimes you don’t notice?

Sometimes landslides are slow and move just a few centimeters. But when they are fast, they can reach more than 30 kilometers per hour! Imagine a mountain sliding at that speed.

How scary! So what do I do if I see one? Do I run as fast as I can? (Do I run as fast as I can?)

(Laughs) It’s best to avoid areas prone to landslides when it’s raining heavily. Oh, and one more thing: if you see a landslide, remember that in Spanish we can use the imperative to give orders. For example, I would say: “Run!” or “Get away from there!”

Or if I wanted to be more dramatic, “Don’t just stand there watching!”

So, if I want to warn you, I would say: “Don’t go near the mountain!”

Exactly! And if you wanted to be more subtle, you could use the subjunctive and say: “I hope there isn’t a landslide today…”

(Laughs) I hope not! (I hope not!

Yes, but we can always learn something fun even from serious things. And now, you know a new verb: to slide.

From now on, I’ll avoid mountains on rainy days!

Good idea! And remember, whenever we talk about landslides, it’s better to prevent than to regret… or to slip.)

Thank you for listening the podcast

Bye, bye



Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

5 cuentos cortos para leer en vacaciones (y practicar español) Nivel B1

Crucigrama de animales en español / Study Spanish

Sillón de botellas plásticas